Monday, November 16, 2009

Who's working for Who???


In the old days of real estate (I'm talking like 1970's) everybody worked for the seller- let's face it- he had the product that generated money for all. Needless to say a lot of buyers were getting taken to the cleaners as the greed of the deal ran a muck. Now I am not saying every realtor prior to 1980 was a crook- but there was a reason that Real Estate Commissions came into existence.


The Iowa Real Estate Commission is my governing body as a realtor and a broker. This is the judge and jury when a member of the public feels they have been wronged by a realtor's actions. The Commission is in charge of seeing that the laws of Iowa are carried out and that the public is not harmed in any way by the actions of a brokerage or a realtor. They hold the power to fine and take away the license of a realtor.


If you have done a real estate deal in the last few years you might remember the "Agency Disclosure Form" we as real estate professionals are required by law to let you know right up front who we are working for- either the buyer or the seller or both (Dual Agency) As a consumer you have the right to chose the real estate professional that you want to work with- and I think you should put serious consideration into that decision.


So who is working for who- in a nutshell if you and I are looking at houses for you to buy- I am working for you- my job entails getting you the best deal I can and protecting your interests in the transaction and the negotiations. If I have your house listed then I am working for you as the seller with the same job description as above.


If you are buying a house I have listed and using me for both sides we are in Dual Agency- at that point I am simply the middle man in the transaction- I must remain fair to both sides.


When you are working with a real estate professional make sure you have discussed the "agency" relationship- its the law.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers