Thursday, November 12, 2009

What About Inspections???


Ok so you have decided to buy a house- one of the biggest tasks is to make sure you get what you pay for.


Your lender will usually require a termite inspection- banks wont typically loan money on a property full of termites and in our area about 1 in 3 homes have wood destroying insects.


You have walked through and looked at the home a few times and now that you have decided to buy it; you are faced with what, if any, inspections should I do????


Inspections will be paid by you, the buyer. This is money well spent. Your inspections, by professionals, can help you uncover any imperfections that you may not catch. They also can allow you to stop the deal if a huge problem is uncovered.


When I bought my first home I had my dad come and look at it. Now granted dad is not a professional inspector of any kind but I valued his opinion and when he gave the "OK" I went ahead with the deal. It turned out that there was a slight plumbing issue in the basement that he and I missed- no need for me to cry to the realtor, seller, or the lender, I was given ample opportunity to have the property inspected by a licensed plumber and I chose not to. The term "Buyer Beware" comes from the real estate industry. I think the problem cost me around $100 to fix- and with plumbing issues that wasn't a big expense.


Now had dad and I saw this problem or caught wind of it I would have had time for a professional to come in and assess the issue -I could then have requested the Seller to take care of it.

The picture above is just an example of plumbing issues--but had this been at my house I think I would have spent the money to have a real plumber look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers