Saturday, November 14, 2009

How to Guarantee Your House Won't Sell



Here are some of the best ways to guarantee a "no sale" on your home

1. Just pick any realtor- they are all the same

According to national statistics 9 out of 10 realtors will be out of the business within their first year- of those that are left half will be gone within the next 5 years. This is a very high failure rate so therefore I think you should put some thought into who you would pick to do one of the most important sales in your life. Should you use the realtor with the most listings? Maybe their plate is really full and they may not be able to devote the kind of time you would like to your property. Should you use the realtor with the most sales? This guy may be great at selling but you need somebody who can market your property. This is the time to do a little research and make sure you are getting someone you feel confident with.

2.For Sale by Owner

There is nothing I hate worse than negotiating something I am selling myself- I have too many emotions tied into the sale and I know the buyer is just going to try to beat me down to the last penney.
As a realtor I work with buyers and I have sold many "for sale by owner" properties and I have yet to have a seller tell me No to a valid and decent offer- its human nature. The problem with most FSBOs is that few people know about them- they stick up a sign and run one or two ads and then just wait- the real estate market anywhere is FULL OF BUYERS and we as realtors know who they are.
Alot of people like FSBOs- they figure since you are not paying a commission they can get the seller down in the price- and they usually do. National statistics for FSBO = only 8% actually sell. Everybody and their dog will tell you different just ask the postman or your barber. (and remember whatever they tell you treat it like gold because they sell houses for a living on a daily basis- lol)

3. Reduce the Commission

Here is a no-brainer- almost all realtors work on a commission only basis, so why would I waste my time trying to get an offer on your place when all of your competition is paying me a better wage. You want your property to stand out in the realtor workforce's minds as a valuable resource- telling all the agents that you are paying less than anybody else doesn't promote your property correctly.

4. Talk to Buyers or Buyer's Agents

Who is working for who? I had a listing a couple of years back and everytime another realtor showed the home the owner picked up their card and called them. She rattled on about problems in her life and why she was selling and how she needed the money- blah blah blah. Every offer they broght in was way below asking price- I wonder why??

The realtor with the buyer is working for the buyer not you! I love when someone else's customer calls me, they always slip up and tell me things they shouldnt- things which I let my buyer know. This plays out with the FSBO prospects also.

This is a pretty rough statement but--Sellers please dont help- you hired me now let me do this job- I sell houses for a living you don't.

5. Appointment only showings

I have lost more sales on properties that I cant get into because of ridiculous showing schedules. Many times I have someone in town for the day only- they have to buy something and we have already looked at everything else. Your house from what they tell me might be perfect- but I cant show it till after 6 on Sunday- so they buy the house down the street. Make your house easy to show at a moments notice- I know its a hassle but we need to get this place sold as quick as possible. Another note- you hanging around while we are showing it makes buyers uncomfortable and makes them rush through the property.

6. Pricing Too High

Why does everyone have the thought "I can always come down" When your house hits the market- there is a whole slew of buyers that have already seen everything on the market -when your property hits at an unrealistic price it goes right to the back burner in their mind- this happens daily in every real estate market. If your home is worth 80,000 on the market and you list for 99,900- don't worry you are right you can come down and six months or a year from now we will get it sold for 72,000. The longer the house is on the market the less the seller will make on the true market value.

7. Hire the Best and Ignore the feedback

Ok you have a top agent marketing your property and it is being shown alot. As a top agent you regularly asks the other agents for their customers feedback. Turns out the buyers are creeped out by all the satanic posters and goth paraphenalial in your crazy teenagers room. His walls are painted a deep black and inverted crucifixes are everywhere. This has happened to me before. Time for Jr's room to get a makeover to sell.

The feedback is crucial in getting the good offers- some things can be fixed and some things can't. Do whatever your agent tells you that is within your means to help get the property sold- most of the time it is just clear the clutter, fix the hole in the front entry carpet- remember you want top dollar for your home.

Currently we are in a buyer's market- so what makes your home so special??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers